Tuesday 1 April 2014

Volume 1, Issue 6: The Day the Larp Died, Goodbye KBN

The Day the Larp Died: Found on pages 54-55

The day the LARP died...


I can still remember the very first combat based larp I went to, Labyrinthe!
The very name conjours up images of twisting caves, forgotten oubliettes and sexy goblin kings lurking round every corner.
It didn't disappoint in the slightest I can tell you.


That day spent in the total pitch black except where one or two people had glow sticks to light the way. Creatures faster than the eye could see, frenetic combat, and the loss of a good friend who died at the hands of a dark elf assassin!


In no short time at all I grew to love the game, it had everything I wanted that I could never get in the table top games.
I was in a group of friends, my table top group, who all had been going to Laby for some time even though I was new to the area they welcomed me with open arms.
During the breaks the sense of camaraderie was evident in many of the people down there, all of them on some alternate quest or vital mission of mercy and daring do!


Whilst I was there I came to make a good many mates and even lucky enough to make some friends, and eventually meet my girlfriend whilst there!


However, after a while, as I began to level up my character and play with other groups, not to mention Monstering (playing purely as crew for the day), there began a curious sort of rot which had started to set in.


I was suddenly aware of numerous small groups of people, cliques and elitists I thought at the time, which were often referred to as “The Old Guard”.
Each of these little groups had very little time or like for the other groups. At first I just thought they were in game guilds or factions and that the subsurface hostility I had noticed was simply some excellent roleplaying.
Before long however I found that the hostility was indeed a very real thing.


The odd tale of a drunken assault or bitter row on social media had begun to filter through to me.
Now i've always been a live and let live kind of guy, never anything bad to say about anyone unless the really had wound me up (which was a hard thing to do, i'm to fat and jolly to be getting annoyed!).


After a couple of years I had been down to the game enough to know who liked who and who avoided who and so I was suddenly aware of a massive social minefield.
But me being me, I just cracked on and kept chatting to anyone and everyone.
That was when it all really started to go wrong for me.


Some how, because I seemed to prefer to Monster and not play, a member of two of the Old Guard had decided I wasn't worthy enough to be part of what they saw as their game.
This hostility of course made me want to play less, and monster not quite as often as I might have liked, I would be asked a couple times a month to monster on a dungeon a friend was playing in or even running but I started to find excuses, so in the end I was only going once every couple or three months, then once every four to six months.


There came a time all of a sudden when I realised I hadn't been down to either play or monster for almost an entire year, though I was still active on the forums, checking them daily for interesting happenings and the like.
I resolved to start going again, after all I was in full time employment and had some spare cash.
So I found a low level game to get involved with, made an entirely new character, used up some of my monster points (a great little thing Laby does to encourage people to crew, which can be spent on making other games a bit cheaper or to purchase the latest game update books, of which there are a great many..) to advance my character a few levels and be able to use heavy armour which a friend had loaned me for the day, and then I managed to convince another mate to come along, some one who had been larping for a very long time and even now spends most weekends in a field or nuclear bunker some where in the country.


My mate was more than happy to crew for the day, it gave him a nice rest from being a player.
So off we trekked, I got painted and armoured up, much to the interest of some visiting italian grandmothers who were fascinated by a grey skinned demon warrior with boar tusks jutting from his face!
So, after a few obliging photos with the ladies, and what i'm sure was a rather cheeky pat on the bum from one of them during a picture, off I set, Jalagos the Grrtuck warrior who didnt bother with shields but relied on two mighty hammers and a rather dodgy germanic accent to get through most things.


And you know what, I had a blast that day, it was great to be back on the swing of things, smiting left right and center, protecting the squishies in the middle of the party, causing racial tensions with some of the local townsfolk who didn't like my folk..


All those worries of what the Old Guard thought had totally gone away.
Until that is I got home and read on the forums that certain people didn't think that people should be allowed to monster unless they had played in the system for a considerable time.
The post was directly aimed at my mate, the person had even referred to the dungeon he was kind enough to crew for the day!


This of course started up a rather heated debate as others threw their rather limited opinions in to the mix.
I spoke to the currant management team about certain player attitudes that bordered on bullying, and was told “oh thats just how they are, they're always like it, nothing we can do”.
It was the straw that broke the camels back for me. A good number of people had all complained about the same attitudes from the old guard and each been told the same thing.
At that point I vowed never to return as either a player or a member of crew to the system.


Since then I've used the caves for another system (Kent By Night/Camarilla Invictus), which all the players loved, and you know what, I started to miss the place, the ambiance of the location, the claustrophobic feel, knowing that if it were not for the torches and glow sticks you'd be in utter darkness..

I'd heard that some of the Old Guard are no longer playing, and I started wondering if its time to dust off the hammers and practice my rather bad germanic accent once more..


After all, Laby was my first love when it comes to smiting and I did have some good times down there..


Whether i'll return however I don't know. There are just a few to many negative memories as well for me. Despite having been playing for 11 years (with the exception of the last one and a half when i've not played or crewed for) I still consider myself an utter noob with their system, its hellishly large, and easy to get confused with how things are done.


If I could find a combat larp that used a similar location, didn't have 4 different kinds of armour class (Armour/Physical, Dextrous, Magical and Spiritual), where abilities didn't have a dozen names and all the same effect and was just a bit more affordable i'd like to think i'd be a regular combat larper once again.


As it is, i'm rather happy running my own system these days, which has no cliques, no old guard, people bring cakes for one another, is full of combat, both physical and political, and has a modern theme to it, not to mention it's 1 tenth the price for the same length of time of game play!


Article written by Nick Sands, who's the Ref of Camarilla Invictus, formerly known as Kent by Night and is desperately searching for a decent slice of Battenburg and mug of tea...













Goodbye KBN: Found on Pages 66-67

Goodbye Kent by Night...


Very recently as a Ref I had a hard decision to make about the system I’ve been running for the last twenty years.
It'd come to light that we were losing potential players because of our name.
Kent By Night.


Now, if you've played in other Vampire based LARPs you might be aware that “By Night” is a bit of a brand name much like Cam-UK and UK-Masquerade.
A great many people had have rather mixed experiences, as mentioned in the recent article a couple of months ago, with vampire LARPs as a whole and many vampire games, regardless of the system they're part of will use “By Night” as part of their name, to indicate that it's a vampire based game regardless of the Sect or Clans available.


With the “By Night” appendage there is usually the town or city in which the game is based and played in.
For example, you might find a London By Night game, as well as a Tottenham By Night or Chelsea By Night game, all of which run in close areas but are utterly unrelated (though you my see a few similar faces in them, after all the LARP community is quite small and its very easy to bump in to others you may well know..).




-A Game Unlike Any Other-
When advertising our game, either on various facebook pages, or by word of mouth, we'd constantly run in to the stigma that seems to follow all vampire games.
“Oh, you're a 'By Night' game... yeah, no thanks. Tried that before, didn't like it.. bunch of weirdos..”


Which when you look at it is a rather blanket attitude, it's like saying “Gemmel? Yeah don't like him because I read some Tolkein and got bored..” or disliking Angel just because it was a spin off from Buffy.
They're totally different beasts. Ok, theres a few similarities but not enough to pan one with out giving it a chance just because you don't like something it's linked to in some manner..


Kent By Night really was, and still is, unlike many other vampire games due to not only the rules, it's not a Minds Eye Theatre system, but it is a Vampire the Masquerade based game, using all the same powers, clans and sects. Unlike other vampire LARPs Kent By Night uses full contact combat rules and everything is Real Time, so once you're in the IC area nothings OOC, everything you say is considered IC, same as every action you take is also considered to be fully IC, as one player found out when he blew his brains out all over the surrounding players in a game of Russian Roulette..


Other people just didn't get that about Kent By Night.
Other By Night games were all strictly non combat, no death except when it drove the story.
There was little real PVP action at all except when it drove the story along.


Kent By Night was nothing like that, and no matter how both myself and the players explained that other people just didn't get the fact that we were called “By Night” but in name only because it was a clear indicator we were a vampire based game.


-The Dilemma-
So, the dilemma of Kent by Night was something along the lines of: Should we change our name to remove us from the other local games with similar names, or should we stick with the stigma of being confused with other games which we don't really resemble.


Myself and the A-Ref spent the better part of two months discussing the matter on and off, judging player reactions to the name, listening to their stories of other games which they have attended in the last or still do attend and how those games go with the “By Night” name.


We put together a list of some other names that were not to much of a mouthful, chatted with a couple of our long term players who've been with us since day one in the Chatham area based game.
One of them asked, initially, why we wasn't called Chatham by Night, and the very simple answer was “there's not enough people in Chatham to support all the vampires that will attend the game” we also made mention that given the history of the game that Kent was a very troubled Domain as a whole and as such the game will be set in Kent as well as East & West Sussex, again due to game lore.


After whittling the twenty potential names down to a list of 10 we then opened up a poll to the players to vote on, after all it was their game just as much as it the Ref Teams game..

The players as a whole took to the poll with great enthusiasm, and even offered up additional ideas some of which were also very well received.
So, being the fair Ref that I am, I reset the poll, using most popular options previously voted and some of the most preferred player ideas.
Within a couple of days of the new poll being up we quickly saw that the players were interested in a new name and began discussing just what it meant as a name for the game.
Camarilla Invictus.


-Hello Camarilla Invictus-
It sounded snazzy, it made it clear that we're a Camarilla based game and even made use of the Kent coat of arms motto (Invicta or Invictas depending on the age of the local council stationary..).
It also was a great way to lure in people who'd played the more recent New World of Darkness games where there was a sect called Invictus or something remarkably similar..


It was explained that the root word, Invicta, meant Victory or Strength, and players were agog at how such a seemingly random idea for a name had gained momentum and become the firm favourite of two thirds of the player base (the other third being spread between the old name, and a smattering of other ideas).
However the final third have now come to accept the new name, which is great news because it means that 100% of our player base is embracing (if you'll pardon the pun) the new name.


Myself and my Asst-Ref have updated all our Wiki as much as possible, keeping a few mentions of the old name and even having a page as to why it was changed.
We've had some one design some great new artwork for our facebook group and wiki, and we've got a few surprises for players next year..




The other great thing about changing our name is that suddenly players are really interested in just what the game will change in to, and the last few months since we started the name change process the game has evolved in to a rather different beast.
Before it was a casual gathering of vampires, the option of politics against one another was there but few really took to it (and as such they became victims of those who did take to it, but isn't that what the games all about?). There was the ever present chance of random violence, after all vampires are creatures ruled by their passions and some are rather quick to anger..


Now however the stakes have been raised, almost everyone has suddenly taken an interest in the player versus player aspect of the political struggle in the game.
The game seems to have suddenly gelled in to what the Ref Team envisioned a couple of years ago when we started the game in the area.


For the players the game is now much more personal, their characters live in the domain and now they know that there are very possible threats in the domain, some from other players and some from things invading the place where they live and feed..


So, from January the 1st Kent by Night is no more.
And Camarilla Invictus has taken its place as a vampire game with a little more bite!


Of course, if the Camarilla should lose Kent to the Sabbat...

Article written by Nick Sands, who's been running Camarilla Invictus and the preceding saga for the last 20 years. He's in desperate need of a decent Battenburg and mug of Tea...


Wiki link: http://kbn.wikidot.com/start
Facebook group link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/151976118247403/

No comments:

Post a Comment